I’m a breakfast on the fly kind of girl, so when I was trying to make the 3 Day Quick Fix meal plan work for me, I had to shake up the oatmeal and egg whites breakfast just a little bit.
The 3 Day Quick Fix is an event prep meal plan included as part of the 21 Day Fix nutrition plan. The Quick Fix helps you lock down your nutrition so you feel extra lean and toned, just in time to rock your favorite LBD or polka dot bikini. Fellas, there’s a Quick Fix option for you, too. So you can rock your favoritie, umm…speedo?
The jist of the Quick Fix is to keep your nutrition squeaky clean for 3 whole days prior to your big event. What exactly does that mean? It means lots of lean protein, like chicken, white fish, and ground turkey paired with steamed veggies and the occasional complex carbohydrate. The coolest thing about the Quick Fix? I crushed-no, more like clobbered- my workouts while following this nutrition plan.
Okay…back to breakfast. The plan calls for oatmeal and egg whites. Since I prep my meals on Sundays for the entire week, I needed something I could make ahead, and I wasn’t really feeling reheated egg whites. Woof. Here’s what I did instead.
- 1.5c Steel Cut Oats
- 12 Egg Whites
- Zest of 1 Orange or Lemon
- 2T Coconut Oil
- 2tsp Cinnamon
- 2tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4c Water
- 1 packet Stevia
Here’s whatcha do…
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Add your steel cut oats to a large mixing bowl.
3. Using a microplane, grate the zest of one orange or lemon. Make sure you don’t accidentally get any of the white “pith” along with your citrusy zest, because it will make your oats bitter instead of fruity.
4. Add 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (Pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg would work here, too!)
5. Pour 4c of water in to the mixing bowl with your oats and flavoring. Then you can go ahead and add your vanilla extract.
6. Next, you’re going to get your hands a little messy. It’s time to separate 12-Yes, you read that right. That’s an entire dozen- egg whites. Toss the yolks and shells. Keep your whites in a liquid measuring cup.
*Why so many egg whites? Autumn Calabrese, the creator of the 21 Day Fix program, states that approximately 4 egg whites are equivalent to 1 red container. Each breakfast on the 3 Day Quick Fix calls for 1 red container of egg whites.
7. You’re going to have to lightly beat the egg whites before adding them to the oats. Then go ahead and gently pour the whites into your mixing bowl. Using a whisk, gently combine all the ingredients.
8. Scoop 1T of extra virgin coconut oil and schmere (We believe in very technical culinary terms here at NGU Krew) it on the bottom of a large glass baking dish. I use a 9×13 dish, but the size isn’t really that important. Place the dish in your oven for 1-2 minutes, until the coconut oil is melted. Grab your pot holders and swirl the melted coconut oil along the bottom and sides of the dish. Trust me on this one. You’ll be thanking me at clean up time!
9. Give your oatmeal mixture one last whisk, pour everything into the baking dish, and put that bad boy in the oven.
10. It’s going to take about 45-50 minutes until everything is set and the oatmealy-goodness has reached it’s prime. However-and this is a big however- unless you’re looking for an oatmeal on the bottom, scrambled egg on the top casserole, you MUST open the oven about every 10 minutes and give everything another whisk. The oats are dense and the whites are light, so they’ll separate while cooking if you don’t keep them in line.
With about 5 minutes left, sprinkle a light dusting of stevia over the top of the oatmeal bake.
To prep for your 3 Day Quick Fix, all you have to do is measure out 1 yellow and 1 red of the oatmeal bake for each day. Add 1tsp of coconut oil, a shake of extra cinnamon, and one last sprinkle of stevia, and you’ll be set to grab and go while your Quick Fix-ing.
This baked oatmeal has been a life saver for me since I’m out the door at 6:00 most mornings. I have an hour commute, and try to get my sweat on before sun up, so I don’t have time to be messing around with the frying pan before work. Stick your pre-portioned servings in the microwave for 2 minutes and out the door you go!